Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Venting.

OK folks, I apologize.  I have no reason to complain.  The school I get to go to everyday is awesome, the teachers AND kids are motivated and interesting.  But... I have a lot to learn....about eighth grade curricullum, about Montessori Methods, about previous work done this year, about future plans for the year, about indiviual students and about community expectations.  Last night I gathered material to take to class today.  My binder of biology Core Curricullum to give to the teachers as examples. Various KTIP Lesson Plans (they have never seen them.) Examples of Physical Science lessons from Woodford County (where I observed last year).  My binder of UK expectations and requirements so the CT can see what she's getting into. And a MASSIVE binder of previous lessons etc, from Montessori Middle School that I really need to learn!  (And money for Peanut Butter Pie that was made in Microeconomy.)

Every morning we have a "staff" meeting.  It's a quick 15 minute check in.  But ANY problems with individuals are discussed. (For example, "Yes Roan did his math problems after class and I checked them but he is still really struggling with completion and neatness.")  Every Monday there is a 2 hour meeting after school going over the "bigger picture." 

I am starting slowly, but I am going to be involved in every facet of the school.  I have cleaning rotation responsibilities, I will participate in student-teacher conferences next month and I gathered 7 eggs yesterday.  There is just a lot of entirely new experiences for me.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it.  But it is a bit overwhelming at times.  My brain hurts.  And it is 6:30 in the morning!

4 comments:

  1. How many total students are in the school? It seems like it must be a small student body in order to have brief meetings for teachers to discuss issues with specific students. Are these conversations centered around the students' successes in classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 52 total student body. Yes the entire conversation is about students, helping them, responding to them, etc.

      From 8 am until 4:30 pm, we interact with students. Before classes, between classes, during lunch, during free time, and after school. Yes even in the bathroom.

      Delete
    2. Wow Heather! Can't wait for you to implement some of your own physical science curriculum in the classroom.

      Let us know more about the Monday meetings. Do administrators attend this meeting too?

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! There is only one "administrator." She is the principal and she teaches some times as well, regularly in fact. And there is one "staff support" person and she comes to the meetings as well.

      Delete