Sunday, February 5, 2012
The General Class...
So I've taken over the general level bio class. I started with this past unit, photosynthesis, and we culminated that with a test on Friday. When I looked at their test scores, I did not get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside... It was more of an "Oh no! What happened?!?!" This class is made up of mostly students who do not know English very well. So it seems like even when they are quiet and "listening" to me, they don't really understand what is going on. I don't know how to reach them if they can't understand me and vice-versa. On top of this, most of those students don't seem to care about trying to learn; they are just there because they have to be. So I am giving them a different seating chart this coming week, but at this point, I'm concerned if that will only make discipline issues easier to handle but do nothing for their learning...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do you mean they have a hard time understanding English and reading English?
ReplyDeleteWe should discuss this issue during our online class meeting tomorrow.
Jason, that is absolutely a very difficult obstacle to overcome. Have you considered retreating to some attention-getting graphics or pictures to get them interested? Close-ups of carnivorous plants... red cabbage as a pH indicator... burning money...
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Yes, they can't understand it very well and their reading comprehension is not very good at all. To be fair, I don't think they have a very high reading in Spanish either.
ReplyDeleteI've used a few different things and haven't seen much success; but I'm willing to use whatever I can to reach them!