Today, I got to serve as a judge for Fayette county's district science fair. It was a very rewarding experience. I had the opportunity to meet science teachers and other members of the science community. I got to judge 4th Grade Chemistry projects. I was very impressed with some of the projects that the students did. It was nice to see students involved in the science process. It would have been great to have seen more of the student science projects, but there were over 700 of them! I can't wait to judge the science fair next year!
Wow, that's a LOT of projects. What was your favorite one?
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous! That sounds like fun. I would've liked to have seen the projects in the science fair. I find that students can be so creative when teachers give them the opportunity and freedom.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite one was a little girl who experimented with the best way to lift a fingerprint. She was so cute, and extremely intelligent. I couldn't believe I was talking to a fourth grader!
ReplyDeleteA lot of the projects were really great; however, I was surprised that many of them were demonstrations rather than experiments. A good number of the projects were also totally done by the parents. It makes me sad that these kids are missing out on the true nature of science when their teachers are not giving them good guidance, and the parents are doing the projects for the kids.
Many of the students said that their teacher told them to go to a website for ideas, and the students just did the ones straight from the website.
The little girl with the fingerprints picked hers because she loved mystery novels!
700! Wow!
Delete