Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lock-Down

Probably the biggest incident I've had while student teaching: a school-wide lock down.  An inmate who had escaped from Jessamine County jail was suspected to be around EJHS this afternoon, causing the school to go on lock-down.  Students were not allowed to leave the classrooms for around 2 hours.  My students were taking a quiz for part of this time, and after the bell rang to change classes and they were still in our room, they had free time.

The biggest problem with the lock-down, for our class anyway, was that it was occurring during a quiz.  Students were constantly interrupted with announcements, making it difficult for them to focus.  I know that there really was nothing different that could have been done and that school officials were handling the situation appropriately, but it really made me think about how important it is to eliminate the distractions that we have control over while students are completing an assessment.  I'm hoping that they only appeared to be distracted and that they still do well on their quiz!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, that's crazy! Hope no one was stressed out by this whole thing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Neo telling me about being on lock down when he was at a summer camp at Glendover Elementary. They spent two hours under their desks.

    Did you feel like it was over-reacting or appropriate?

    ReplyDelete