Monday, February 6, 2012
General Chemistry Adaptations
I am student teaching in three Pre-AP Chemistry classes and one General Chemistry class. So far, I have two of the Pre-AP classes, so I have had just one prep. The general classes cover about the same material as the Pre-AP ones do, but they do not go as in-depth. It had seemed that the same lesson was used for both until today. General chemistry started learning about the mole today. I really noticed how my CT adapted the lesson and slowed the pace down to meet the needs of the class. They only discussed representative particles and conversion factors today, when for Pre-AP, we talked about both of these and Avogadro's number in half of a class period. I'm going to have to keep these adaptations in mind when I eventually pick up the general chemistry prep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thats a real good point. I've noticed some of those same differences with my general bio class as compared to my CT's advanced spanish immersion bio. It really makes you focus on changing your instruction to really meet the needs of the class!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the seminar we attended at the conference last semester about chemistry for all. It really seems to help the teacher, when the students are on similar topics with differentiated instruction.
ReplyDeleteI remember in my brief period at BSHS how Ms. Roberts would adjust lessons seamlessly depending on the class. Sometimes the collab class would need more seet-up by the teacher to get through the lab. Sometimes the worksheet would be worked with the class with her guiding them in the collab class, but the general class would work it individually.
ReplyDelete