Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Early Release Day

Today was an Early Release day at EJHS.  This means that we only had three of five classes for the day.  My first block is the only section of General Chemistry, so the progress of the class was not disrupted.  2nd, 3rd, and 4th blocks are all Pre-AP Chemistry, so they have the same lesson each day.  With the early release, I had 2nd and 3rd, but not 4th, which created a problem regarding what class should be about today.  Fortunately, tomorrow they are all taking a test, so today acted as a review for 2nd and 3rd, while 4th did not miss any new concepts.  I can see how these Early Release days can cause problems, though, when they disrupt consistency in the classes.  I know there is always review, but I think it is a challenge to make the reviews on these days actually seem worthwhile to the students.

2 comments:

  1. Why does EJHS have these early release days? How often do they have them? I can see why this could be frustrating for both teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early release days are used for teachers to work on LDC in the afternoon. Its a program that will incorporate research-type writing in the classroom. Teachers get together by content area once a month on these days to create units for students to practice writing.

    ReplyDelete