Monday, January 30, 2012

Tutoring

Today, I started tutoring a girl after school. It was good to get the one-on-one connection, but she was still very uninterested in the material. I did the best I could in engaging her and getting her into the learning, however she still came away saying it was boring and too much to remember. This is difficult to counteract because much of this is simply memorizing and I can't give her the in-depth understand of the material like she wants. I need to come up with some way to get that across to her clearly. I am happy to see her willingness to stay after school though and to try learning more.

1 comment:

  1. The majority of the work I do is practically one-on-one. I've been successful sometimes talking to them about "how I do it." Trying to establish the relationship with them that, yes I am the teacher, but the material can be tiresome for me too.

    Last night a boy with little self-confidence was working (basic) math problems and I offered to go over the answers with him. He kept apologizing for how messy it was but said he's "ADD and all that stuff." We got through the worksheet despite the difficulty reading it but I told him that someday he may have a teacher that won't want to try that hard so he would be well served to neatly rewrite the final answers on another sheet. I said that teachers have bad days too and it might help. I think it made sense. Or maybe he was just being really polite.

    ReplyDelete