Saturday, March 3, 2012
CHETL
We had a professional development conference this past week regarding CHETL (Characteristics of Highly Effective Teaching and Learning) this past week. I thought this was somewhat helpful in that we learned various things regarding implementing more rigorous coursework and engaging the students in more inquiry based activities. However, after the meeting was over, I found out that the other teachers had seen the exact same presentation just a few weeks earlier at a conference they attended. I would imagine that the administration would make sure that teachers aren't getting the same information disguised under different names (that can waste money). That was just surprising to me. When choosing PD, do administrators require all personnel to go to certain ones, and are some just option/are there ones to choose from? Because these two in question were both required for the teachers and just seemed redundant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I suspect that from an administrative point of view that's similar to a teacher repeating the same set of directions to the class over and over, and in different forms. I would love to have some PD magically instilled into my brain, but the reality is...even if it is required, there will be times that I am not able to devote the time or attention to the matter that it deserves. I suspect we are all getting a taste of the reality of too much to do and too little time!
ReplyDeleteBut at Montessori we all just meditate to achieve enlightenment...